Monday, April 9, 2012

Gallery Hoppin' and Sweet Potato Munchin'

My sister and Mike were in town during the first weekend of March to celebrate their near completion of med school with some of their friends.  They had some free time after dinner and wanted to "try" and meet up with Nadya, our friend Lisa, and me for some gallery hoppin'.  I use the word "try" because if they couldn't find any parking around the Short North they were going to bail.  Fortunately they did find parking, but the funny thing is that after walking one block, the two of them became too cold and decided to turn around and leave.  However, as they were walking back to their car I spotted the two of them before they could make their escape and they ended up tagging along for a little bit.  Hehehe.

We started at the north end of the Short North and decided to warm ourselves up with some hot beverages from Travonna Coffee House on the corner of 5th and High.  Then we made our way south.
 
White mocha from Travonna Coffee House.  Isn't it pretty?


We went into a few "vintage" furniture stores/galleries during our hop.  I can't say I'm a big fan of "vintage" furniture.  They are all so ridiculously overpriced too.  It seems like they just buy people's old furniture for dirt cheap, jack up the price, and label it "vintage".  Whatever.  Some people like it.  I'm just not a big fan.  What really creeped us out was that one of these stores had a child/baby casket for sale.  How can anyone sell something like that?  Seriously?  Now that I look back on it, I should have checked the price tag on that.  I wonder how much they were selling it for? 

I always wonder how these stores and galleries stay open.  None of them have closed during my time in Columbus and it seems like more keep popping up.  I guess a bunch of people in Columbus must like this stuff.

F-U-N-K-Y mugs

Maybe the best ice cream in the world?  No ice cream for us tonight :(

My sister and Mike ended their gallery hop early due to the cold and their hungry bellies.  I guess they had dinner beforehand but were not impressed nor were they satisfied with what they had.  I think they went to Tip Top Kitchen.  I've heard good things about the place so maybe their not so great experience was a rare one.  I can't say.  Nadya and I will just have to check it out one of these days. 

Towards the end of our hop, my sister texted me about some food truck with really delicious sweet potato fries.  It sounded good, but the three of us didn't really want to eat something unhealthy this late at night.  As we were walking back we spotted the truck.  It was called Tatoheads.  We decided to check it out and.....we ordered some sweet potato fries with some seasoning and some roasted pepper ketchup.  Oh food.  Why can't we resist you.  But, I'm glad we bought some because they were amazing.  Definitely keep your eye out for the Tatoheads truck.  I think they post their whereabouts on their Facebook page.  Check them out!  We ended our night with some very satisfied taste buds.

Tatoheads

Delicious sweet potato fries

The next morning, my sister, Mike, Nadya, and me went to our go-to breakfast place in Grandview, DK Diner.  Breakfast was delicious as always.  Below are some parting shots from breakfast.
Mmmmm creamer with a touch of coffee

Oh my




No comments:

Post a Comment